Newspaper Archive of
The Glenville Democrat
Glenville, West Virginia
Lyft
September 24, 1976     The Glenville Democrat
PAGE 1     (1 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 1     (1 of 12 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
September 24, 1976
 

Newspaper Archive of The Glenville Democrat produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




The Glenville Pathfinder,00 A Gilmer Graphics, Inc. Newspaper Published By and For Gilmer County People Single Copy Price 15c [Incl. Tax] 52 \\; ii i.iiiii: ii  !!iiii!i /: smile from this Glenville State College reflected the good feelings felt by many Pioneer as GSC whipped West Virginia Tech 28.3. by Paul Brown). ittee searchs GSC president Search ,,  ...... faeulty-admintstraticm organization, Committee three students, one member of the West Virginia college's support staff and five the search for a members of the alumni association. State College Committee members are: net Glenville State College Faculty- Administration Organization: Dr. John A. Chisler, Chairman, Division committee of Science and Mathematics; Dr. Ferrell of Lowell E. Fredin, Chairman, as chairman Division of Language; Mr. David M. Smith to serve Gillespie, Librarian; Mr. Joseph M. Hickman, Director, Officer of Board of Career Planning and Placement; authorized for- Mr. James H. Meads If, Chairman, The group Division of Foundation Studies; Ms. Board three Virginia A. West, Associate to succeed Dr. Professor, Division of Language; to retire Dr. Alfred T. Billlps, Dean of Student Affairs; and Mr. Mack K. Samples, Dean of Records and by the Admissions. director Students on the committee are: ess. Mr. Timothy B. Butcher, Glenville; personnel Miss Jane Stump, Glenville; and Lmittee and its Mr. Sull A. McCartney, Glenville. names of Mrs. Luanna T. Smith, of Glen- status of in- ville, will represent the college's for support staff. Public Glenvllle State College Alumni be channeled Association members are: Mrs. chairman in' Elizabeth D. Turner, Glenvllle; Mr. s office Harbert D. Shimer, Clay; Mr. Robert K. Gainer, Glenville; Mr. Comprised of EarIStalnaker, Charleston; and Mr. the college Michael Ferrell, Parkersburg. school board busy Board of per hour for the driver. They also a number of granted a request from the eting Department of Welfare to use a bus of this year's to make a trip to Morgantown for a football game. before the The GCHS band was given a bus to the fact transport band members to the r, a Gilmer Doddridge and Pt. Pleasant football Student had games. They will also share a bus school for with the football team in which caracas they'll carry instruments and by equipment. Approval was also given Pal Roger for a shuttle bus for the band to use that students from the high school to the football if they field. while William Piercy, principal of the high school, requested that the with board consider sharing the expense further ex- of purchasing a wrestling mat. He said the said that the Booster's Club had already collected $2,000 toward the on three cost. The board members stated board ap- they would consider the request the GCHS after they received the Sheriff's the Pep balance which shows them how the away much cash they have on hand. will be Superintendent of Schools, Ron Plus $2.50 {Continued on page 8} GLENVILLE, GILMER COUNTY, WV 26351 Friday, September 24, 1976 GSC athletic complex nears completion If you've been waiting eagerly for a chance to play tennis on Glenville State College's new courts on Mineral Rd., you'd better plan to wait about another month. GSC Athletic Director Dr. Robert Dollgener estimates that it will take this long to finish the paving, get the fence up, the Laykol surface down and the lines painted. The four lighted courts will be open to the public anytime they are hot being used by a college class, or varsity or intramural tennis team. The tennis courts are, however, only one part of GSC's multi-purpose outdoor athletic complex now coming to fruition after four years of development. The complex, which includes a football field, bleachers, 440 yard oval track, concession stand, storage building, locker room and tennis courts, was begun in 1972. "At that time Glenville State had one of the poorest outdoor athletic facilities in the state. Now we'll have a facility that is comparable to any college in the state," says Dollgener. Construction of the complex was done in three stages. Designation of the areas was done in the first stage. Construction of the locker room, which Dollgener calls "a mansion compared to the facility we have in Brooklyn," was done in the next stage. There is space in the locker room for GSC's varsity teams, a visiting team's dressing area and a women's dressing area. There also is a training room equipped with whirlpools, heat lamps, etc., a weight training room and coaches' offices. Physical education classes also use the facility. It was com- pleted in the fall of 1975. The third phase which is due for completion by the middle of November includes fencing each individual area, lighting of the track NEARING COMPLETION--Glenvllle State College's new outdoor athletic complex should be finished by mid-November. In the foreground are buildings which will house a concession stand and a storage area. The 440 yard oval track encircles a new football field. Bleachers, which and tennis courts and all remaining paving and building construction. An eight-lane resilite (rubberized- like surface) track painted blue and white will encircle the new football field. Dollgener hopes to hold regional high school track meets on the new track along with college meets. The grandstands will hold 3,500 spectators, with room to ex- pand. A 40 ft. long press box will also be included. The concession stand will hold 3,500 fans, will rise above the con- cession stand. The new locker room Is located at the end of the track. The tennis courts are located at the extreme southern end of the property, near the Forestry building. (Democrat Dollgener noted that in year's past, college accrediting agencies always marked GSC down for their lack of good outdoor athletic facilities. He believes that this will no longer be true. He also pointed out that the $ million plus project probably would never have been completed without the dedicated work of Rep. Billy Burke and GSC President Banks Wtlburn. photo). and rest rooms will be constructed underneath the grandstands. Dollgener views the new complex as an asset in recruiting both student-athletes and students. "When we bring these high school kids in here for track meets, they'll see what kind of facilities we can offer. We'll no longer have to apologize for our facilities. It's good for the college as a whole," he ad- ded. i   : THE FOUNTAIN GOES DRY--Back in the days when Glenvllle had a movie theatre (visible at right) several moviegoers made it a custom to stop in The Grill for a soda or sundae. Last Saturday The Grill was closed. An insurance and real estate firm will oc- cupy the building. The Grill is gone By Paul Brown Editor Nostalgia tugs at the heart. Amos and Andy, Humphrey Bogart, Packards, bobby socks, war bonds and Home Comfort stoves. They all disappeared from Glenville years ago. Yet one reminder of days gone by had hung on in town until last Saturday, when The Grill, Glen- ville's last soda fountain shop, closed its doors. Thousands of college students and long ago residents of GlenviUe had sat on the stools or in the straight- backed booths sipping nickel Cokes and eating nickel ice cream cones and grilled Hershey bar sandwiches. Hearts pounded in anticipation as Glenville State College basketball scores were relayed to the little telephone booth in the back of the shop. Hearts pounded to a different beat as cow-eyed girls and moon- struck boys shared a lemon phosphate in their own secluded booth. Many Gilmer Countians got their first glimpse at the land beyond these hollows from the seat of a Blue-Grey, Atlantic Greyhound or Greyhound bus which boarded at The Grill. J.W. "Wib" Beall opened The Grill in 1928. It wasn't Glenville's first soda shop, nor was it Beall's first try at the soda jerk's trade. Tierney's Drug Store, which used to occupy the vacant lot between Glenville Supply and Bernie's Restaurant, served the first soda fountain treats in Glenville in the early 1900's. Beall opened Glenville's second soda shop in 1920 in the building that now houses Hardman's Tru-Value Hardware. He was in pai-tnership with T.W. Byrne, so the two called the shop The B&B. They went out of business in 1925, but there was still a soda shop in town. Thompson Drug Co. in Spencer had a soda fountain in their stores in what is now Modern Dry Cleaning and later in what is now Hamric's Jewelry. Still later, Richard Whiting, built the building which now houses Summers Pharmacy and installed a soda fountain. Summers had a soda fountain until 1971. Tom McPherson, who owns The Grill building, and Greg Nicholson will open something called Town and Country Agency Inc. in the old building. They'll sell real estate and insurance. There's hundreds of similar-sounding businesses of that sort all over the country, just as there were hundreds of soda foun- tain-sandwich shops called The Grill in 1928. In fact, Beall named his place The Grill when a Chicago wholesaler sent him some mer- chandise addressed simply to "the grill", Glenville, W.Va. One of the most popular novelties in America in the late 20's was the electric sandwich grill. Beall did a brisk business selling grilled peanut butter, ham salad and jelly sand- wiches and a special sandwich , (Continued on page 6) IN ITS HEYDAY--In 1936 when this photo was taken, The Grin was one of the most popular gathering spots in town. "Wib" Beall (far left) was the proprietor from 1928 until 1969. Clifford Gibson is the fellow behind the counter and Bayard Young Is the spiffy lad sipping a soda. Mary Gregory draws The Grill's lose soda